AP 110 to 101
B'eda d'yawman, during the priestly ordination of Fr. Jojo Thalikasthanam, CMI
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Syriac hymn in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
|Place of Recording||St. Paul' s Church, Vezhapra, Changanacherry.|
|Date of Recording||30 December 2012|
|Video Segment (s)||
Syriac hymn in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Sung during the priestly ordination ceremony of Fr. Jojo Thalikasthanam, CMI
Albeit growing up in the post-Syriac era of the Syro Malabar Church, Fr. Jijo Thalikasthanam, CMI acquired an interest in the Syriac language and music during his seminary formation. It is possible that Fr. Jojo’s older brother, Jarly Mathew, who is passionate about promoting the Syriac heritage of the Syro Malabar Church, influenced his younger brother. In any case, Fr. Jojo took a bold decision to include a few Syriac chants in the ordination ceremony. Jarly Mathew led the choir. Both Fr. Jojo and Jarly continue to promote the unique Syriac (East Syriac) and language and music among the Syro Malabar Catholics, in spite of the uncanny apathy from the Syro Malabar hierarchy toward the Syriac aspect of the Church. I look forward to recorded interviews with Fr. Jojo and Jarly. May God bless their enthusiastic efforts.
In this video, we hear one of the three melodies we know so far for this chant. We do not know who wrote the text or who composed the melody. It is possible someone in Kerala composed this melody in a six-beat (1 2 +1 2 3 4) meter that is popular in South Indian Karnatak classical music.
Joseph J. Palackal
5 November 2018
- AP 4aa - "B'eda d'yawman." Track 29. Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 6a - Dr. Jacob Vellian and team sing "B'eda d'yawmaan"
- AP 7 - "B'eda d'yawmaan" (On this festival day)Syriac Chant in honor of the Blessed Virgin MarySung by Paul Joy Vathappillil
- AP 11.5 - "B'hadmin yawmin" in the voice of Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 18b - The Sisters of St. Thomas sing a new melody for B'eda d'yawmaan (Hymn to the Blessed Virgin).
- AP 25g - Rev. Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal: Three melodies of “B’eda d’yawmaan;” one melody starts on offbeat.
- AP 26 - Children's Choir at Suriyanippally, Palluruthy, sings "B'eda d'yawmaan".
- AP 26a - സുറിയാനി ഗീതം : പുത്തരി മാതാവിന് സ്തുതി
- AP 78g -B'eda Dyawman -Binu & Deepa singing syriac chants
- AP 107b - Melody of B’eda d’yawman. Fr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI
- AP 121 - Dr. Joseph J Palackal, CMI, at the AMERICAN LIBRARY OF CONGRESS .
- AP 123 - B'eda d'yawman (Syriac and Malayalam) at Suriyanippally, Palluruthy.
- AP 159 - Three -year old Hansel Joseph sings Syriac chants.
- AP 182 - Paul Joy (Grandson of Paily Vathappally)
- AP 182 - Paily Vathappally with Violin tune
- AP 214 - 'ബ്ഏദാ ദ് യൗമ്മാൻ' Evelyn & Jerome Sijo Puthenpurackal, sing Marian Hymn.
- AP 250 - Beda d' Yawman (Syriac Chant) and ' അമലോത്ഭവയാം കന്യാമരി യേ' (Malayalam)
- AP 86 - "Qandisa alaha," during the rite of priestly ordination of Rev Kevin Mundackal
- AP 87 - Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal
- AP 195 - Syriac chants during priestly ordination of Fr Melvin Paul. Chicago