AP 240 to 231
'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE!
Syriac Chant in the Funeral Services of Priests
Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE! Syriac Chant in the Funeral Services of Priests Homage to Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR|
|Place of Recording||Qambel Maran - CD ,Kerala|
|Date of Recording||1999-2000|
|Video Segment (s)||
Homage to Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR : 'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE!
"O church, remain in peace, I am going;
And thy dwellers in righteousness, pray for me.
My dear brothers and friends, celebrate my remembrance;
Because I have departed from you and for ever, pray for me.
I am going and am not afraid, my Lord is calling me;
He is placing the crown of glory on me and is gladdening me.
Remain in peace, O reverend priests, though I have departed from you;
And when you stand in the sanctuary, pray for me.
Remain in peace, O my brothers, my friends, and my companions;
Because death has hastened and separated me from you, pray for me.
Remain in peace, O chosen people, redeemed congregation;
May our Lord keep your assemblies, pray for me".
"May the angel who came and took thee to Eden, lead thee;
We shall offer thee as an oblation to thy Lord, go in peace."
The Catholic Church in Kerala is offering yet another young priest to the heavenly kingdom. Fr. Sinson Edakkalathoor’s untimely and sad demise was due to Covid-19. The young priest has left behind his family members and many friends to grieve in deep sorrow, not knowing God's intention. All that they can say is “Thy will be done.”
During his short sojourn on our planet, Fr. Sinson made an indelible mark on the lives of many people through his sincerity, compassionate behavior, and his singing talent. Ironically, Fr. Sinson’s favorite song was the Malayalam version of the famous Syriac chant, Edta Pus Lek (Farewell O Church), part of the funeral service for priests in the Syro Malabar Church. He sang that song and posted it on social media. Little did he know that he was going to die. Was there a premonition? We shall never know. We thought it appropriate to celebrate his memory by reposting the Syriac version, Edta Pus Lek, in the voice of Fr. George Plathottam. Henceforth, may they sing together in heaven.
We offer our condolences to the family and friends. We thank Br. Joseph Thekkedath Puthenkudy, who loved Fr. Sinson as an older brother, to share the photographs that appear on this video.
- AP 11-26 - "Witawangunnen" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Malayalam version of Etha Pus Lek
- AP 12a - Wita wangunnen. Fr. Abel CMI. funeral for priests
- AP 59a - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about a unique Syriac chant from the funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 62dd - Melody of Wita Wangunnen (funeral service for priests)
- AP 81 - "Etha Pus lek" from funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 81a - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 84 - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal
- AP 85 - Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil
- AP 131 - Fr George Vithayathil sings "Witawangunnen" from funeral service for priests
- AP 140i - Nrupanaam Misiha. From the funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140j - Walsala Janame. From funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140k - Unnatha Wanitame. Funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140l - "Mruthiyute nadam." Funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140m - Anthimayaathra' funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140n - Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140o - "Witawangunnen naswaramulakil." funeral precession. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140p - "Anayunniso." Funeral services. Syro Malabar. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140q - "Parishudhanmar." Funeral services. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140r - "Nadhananjitumanthima Nalil." Funeral services. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 230(219) - The meaning of "Qurbana" in the chant, ETHA PUS LEK. Dharmaram college. (2014)
- AP 235 - വിടവാങ്ങുന്നേൻ In Homage to Fr. Cherian Nereveetil. Voice of Fr. Abel CMI.