AP 230 to 221
കിരീടം വാഴ്വ് : Crowning ceremony at Syro Malabar wedding. Sherin and Treesa.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||കിരീടം വാഴ്വ് : Crowning ceremony at Syro Malabar wedding. Sherin and Treesa.|
|Place of Recording||St. Thomas Church, Palakuzhy, Vadakkenchery, Palakkad|
|Date of Recording||21 Oct 2020|
|Video Segment (s)||
കിരീടം വാഴ്വ് : Crowning ceremony at Syro Malabar wedding. Sherin & Treesa
The revival of an old tradition in the Syro Malabar Church. The crowning ceremony with bilingual singing during the wedding of Sherin Joseph and Treesa David.
A grassroots level movement is gaining traction in the Syro Malabar Church to bring back the crowning ceremony as part of the wedding ritual. The younger generation of the Syro Malabar Church is taking the initiative, and their local Vicars are going along with it. The song that is part of the ceremony is in Malayalam, but the Syriac chant Bar Maryam is the tune. The performance practice is bilingual. The refrain is in Syriac and the strophes are in Malayalam. Bilingual singing, too, is a new development. It portends a positive trend for the future of the Syro Malabar liturgy and the Syriac tradition. The couple was kind enough to share their thoughts on camera. The comments are useful to researchers on Syro Malabar traditions. We are grateful to Denny Karamkunnel for sharing this video with us and doing the couple's interview. Denny was a server during the ceremony. see also Aramaic Project-171 https://youtu.be/fUlwMZh-s6c
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
18 January 2021
- AP 77 - Syriac Christian Wedding in India
- AP 137 - Syriac chants during the wedding at Dallas, USA: Denny & Neena
- AP 141 - Marriage of Ribin Jose and Reshma: Reclaiming an old custom
- AP 149 - Bilingual Nuptial Qurbana: wedding of Anija and George Njarakunnel
- AP 169 - Wedding of Dixon and Nivya. Ramsa at the home of the groom. Reviving old customs.
- AP 170 - Wedding of Dixon & Nivya. Chantham Charthal (beautification) of the groom
- AP 259 - Revival of Crowning ceremony . Syro Malabar wedding of Joseph & Jiss, Kalathil
- AP 171 - Nuptial Qubana and crowning ceremony of Dixon and Nivya.
- AP 190 - Crowning of Anju Koovaplackal & Bijo Kattuvallil reclaiming an old tradition.
- AP 268 - Syro Malabar wedding: CROWNING CEREMONY is catching up. JOJI and AMALU