AP 200 to 191
Catechism through Syriac chants. Ramsha Mariam Payyappilly.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Catechism through Syriac chants. Ramsha Mariam Payyappilly.|
|Place of Recording||Home of Ramsha Mariam|
|Date of Recording||24 April 2020.|
|Video Segment (s)||
Catechism through Syriac chants. Ramsha Mariam Payyappilly
Young Adult English choir of St. Joseph's Syro Malabar Catholic Church in Houston Sings a Syriac song in honor of the Apostle Thomas, who brought Aramaic Christianity to India. Recorded on 2 July 2020.
In this video, Rahul John and Nimitha Susan Payyappilly show us an example of a new paradigm for resuscitating the Syriac sound in the Syro Malabar Church. Their four-year-old daughter learned to sing the Christological hymn Sagdinan Mar and the Trisagion, Qandisa Alaha. The phonemes of both chants are easy to articulate for a four-year-old child. The meaning, however, is far beyond the child’s grasp. But, the Payyappilly couple does not want to wait for years to teach these chants. Children learn the native language before they learn the nuances of grammar. Similarly, parents can bring simple, singable Syriac chants to the mental map of the children. In the future, they will explore the meaning and theology of the song texts. The family sings the Trisagion together. Rahel, the youngest in the hands of her mother, may seem disconnected, but the sound and the sentiments are, undoubtedly, migrating to her mental computer. The Payyappally family shows how Syriac chants can be a part of the conversations at the dining table, and later during the family prayer. If more families adopt this strategy, the Syriac language will not die out in the Syro Malabar Church. God bless the Payyappilly family.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
14 July 2020
- AP 6j - Dr. Jacob Vellian sings the mMelody of "Sagdeenan maar."
- AP 25f - Rev. Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal: Melody of “Sagdeenan maar”.
- AP 79 - Sagdinan Mar: A unique Syriac chant (Christological)
- AP 91 - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt sings "Sagdīnan mār"
- AP 98 - The aramaic chant "Sagdinan Mar".
- AP 101 - Sagdīnan mār. at First communion. Northern Virginia
- AP 107e - Fr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI on "Sagdinan mar"
- AP 113 - Dr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI, speaks On "Sagdinan Mar," the Christological hymn
- AP 134 - Sagdinan mar" in Toronto, Canada
- AP 143 - Dr. Joseph Palackal introduces two Syriac chants during Qurbana in Houston.
- AP 146 - Practice session for bilingual Qurbana at National Convention in Houston, Texas
- AP 179 - Papputty Master (Violin instrumental track)
- AP 243 - Children Group sings at St Jude Syro Malabar Catholic Church
- AP 315 - The ESSENCE of SAGDINAN MAR - by Joseph Palackal, CMI
- AP 324 - SAGDINAN MAR. The Christological hymn in the unique voice of Emma Robin, Texas
- AP 326 / AP2-116 - Melody of "Sagdinan" from the Chaldean Syrian church of the East
- AP 7 - Paul Joy Vathappillil sings the Syriac hymn,"B'eda d'yawmaan" (On this festival day) in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- AP 10a - "Awun d’wasmayya" (Our Father in Heaven). Lord's Prayer.
- AP 10b - Catherine sings the Solemn form of the Lord's Prayer "Awun d’wasmayya" (Our Father in Heaven).
- AP 10c - Rebecca sings the syriac hymn "Talak Ruha" (Come O Spirit).
- AP 17 - Interview with Don Tom Francis.
- AP 26 - Children's Choir at Suriyanippally, Palluruthy, sings "B'eda d'yawmaan".
- AP 29 - Fr. Thomas Perumayan teaches the Sunday School children "Laaku Maara".
- AP 30 - Sunday School Children sing Qandisa alaha/ kandisa alaha (Trisagion)
- AP 94 - Meera Mary Jacob, singing a Syriac Chant.
- AP 158 - Mar Walah (My Lord and my God) for Sunday School children.
- AP 159 - Three -year old Hansel Joseph sings Syriac chants.
- AP 164 - Children take Syriac chants home.
- AP 166 - Children take over the conversation on Syriac chants.
- AP 185 - Catherine Felix plays the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary) on piano.
- AP 186 - Two young boys sing the Syriac alphabet.
- AP 188 - The joy of singing Syriac chant.
- AP 191 - Five-hundred children preparing for bilingual (English/Syriac )Qurbana.
- AP 192 - Qandisa Alaha and Covid-19. Syro Malabar children sing in Austin, Texas.
- AP 198 - Syriac chant to celebrate St. Thomas Day. Houston, Texas.
- AP 200 - Family entertainment with a Syriac song.
- AP 214 - Evelyn and Jerome Sijo Puthenpurackal, sing Marian Hymn
- AP 254 - EMMA LIZ ROBIN: An asset to the SYRO Malabar Church in the USA.
Videos related to Sagdinan Mar
Videos related to syriac chants sung by children